Thursday 8 May 2014

Flowery wooden butterfly plaque

Hello Blog Readers

I thought I would share with you a plaque that I have made.

The idea started when I attended a class at Christine Embersons shop - Hope & Chances Creativity - which is in Gravesend.  We decorated a heart shape plaque, this was how my one came out. 

 

 I was pleased with the result and so thought I would try to decorated another shape.  My friend Janice had bought some wooden butterfly plaques from Anna Marie Designs, you get three sizes, I picked the middle size one (6" x 83/4") to decorate.

Here is the list of the papers, dies and adhesives which I used:-

Paper - DCWV Paper pad - The letterpress stack.  
Dies - Spellbinders:- Rose Creations,  Jewel Flowers & Flourishes
           Robert Adams:- Alphabets
Adhesives:- Rangers:- Glue 'n' seal and Cosmic Shimmer, acrylic glue.
Tim Holtz Distress inks
Lace, gems and ribbon
Emery board

I used the wooden plaque to draw around the shape on the paper and cut out, I coated the wooden shape with the glue 'n' seal to adhere the base paper to the board, I then put this to one side to dry.

 I then cut out the flowers, leaves, butterflies and flourishes, I inked the edges of the flowers and leaves with distress ink, then curled the flowers into shape before layering them up to the size I wanted.
I then sanded the edge of the butterfly (with the emery board) using a downward motion, this gives the edge a very neat finish. Once I had been all around the edge, I used distress ink around the edge to soften the look of the edge.

I then glued the flowers, flourishes, little butterflies, lace and gems into place and tied the ribbon to hang the plaque.

I'm quite pleased with the end result.

I will be back again soon. Thank you for looking in. x

4 comments:



  1. Woooooooow Sally I really love your butterfly, I have got one here that I have been meaning to decorate, now you have given me the knowledge on how to do it, Thank You, it's really gorgeous, well done,

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I look forward to seeing your one, when you have finished it. X

      Delete
  2. I really love the colours that you have used Sally. Bold and bright.....just as a butterfly should be !! Janice xx

    ReplyDelete